Wickedfood Earth is a community upliftment, self-sustainable lifestyle project being developed on a 38 hectare site in the Hartbeesfontein Conservancy, located within the Magalies Meander Tourism area. We have developed a self-sustaining lifestyle showcase subscribing to the ethos of “Responsible use of sustainable resources“.
In recognition of the groundbreaking work that is being done on Wickedfood Earth Farm, Slow Food Johannesburg honoured Cilla and Mike with the 2015 Food Heroes Award for “development of rare breeds and education on sustainable food and farming.” More….
Wickedfood Earth has 3 arms:
- Corperate events including team building events, corporate functions, product launches, photo shoots, kitchen teas, small weddings and milestone birthdays. Over the last 20 years, Wickedfood has been tailor-making food-related functions for our clients. More …
- Workshops and cooking classes for both individuals and corporate groups, from how to establish your own food gardens, and working in the kitchen with confidence, to how to use different cuts of meat, charcuterie and cooking with seasonal local ingredients. More …
- Country Lunches and food events. On selected Sundays and public holidays Wickedfood Earth Farm prepares a mezze country lunch and pop-up food events, using the very best local, seasonal produce. Our country events, cooked by the country cooking school team, are built around the best naturally grown ingredients available from Wickedfood Earth Farm and surrounding small scale producers. More …
- Vegetable gardens and orchards are planted with a wide variety of heirloom vegetables and herbs, and we have an extensive orchard with over 50 old varieties of fruit and nut trees, and berries. The Wickedfood Earth Farm food gardens, internationally recognized by Slow Food as an important educational garden. more….
- Our animals, including pigs, indigenous sheep and cattle, are naturally veld-raised in small groups in large camps, which ensures that we are able to produce happy, healthy, flavorful meat. All of our animals are raised free of antibiotics, growth promotants or animal bi-products. This insures a healthy, consistent product year round. – more…
This is where we are give back to local communities in the form of skills training, from permaculture farming practises, through to cooking and processing. All products produced on the farm, and during training, are available for sale to clients at the Country Cooking School and Wickedfood Earth online market . More ….
At Wickedfood Earth we grow and process local, and farm naturally, following the principles of Geonat Farming which is:
- Farming that is geographically specific both as to where produce is sourced from as well as where it is distributed to. The supermarket shelves contain numerous organically labelled products, where the produces have gone to great lengths to ensure that every component within the product is certified organic, a noble concept, but a jam processed in the Western Cape with organically certified sugar transported all the way from South America, and then transported to a warehouse in Gauteng, before being distributed to Durban? Somewhere along the line something does not make sense.
- Farming in a natural environment, where the forces of nature act in harmony to produce food, away from harmful pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, growth hormones, feedlots and animal cruelty.
Wickedfood Earth is about seasonality and local, and this is where many proponents in the organic infrastructure get it wrong.
Wickedfood Earth does not stop at farming. The entire project subscribes to the principles of sustainability, from alternative building methods using eco-friendly principles, to alternative power and minimal usage of water resources, reciting wherever possible.
The entire project is being documented. We invite serious players within the different segments of sustainability and eco-friendly lifestyle supply chain as well as the general public to participate in this exciting project.
To read our newsletter, click here ….
Project manager – Mike Crewe-Brown 060 761-0885 firstname.lastname@example.org