Since the early sixties, small numbers of concerned consumers within communities have been looking for alternative lifestyles that are self sustaining. For the past 40 years, these movements have mainly been on the fringes, often looked upon as weirdos, or green activists. Over the last few years, this movement has gained momentum and is fast moving into mainstream thinking, especially with public concern regarding the “greenhouse effect”.
Consumers who want to get closer to the earth and grow their own produce, in the majority of cases do not have the know-how, or know where to source reliable heirloom seeds. They have no reference point to go and have a look at how it should be done. Many of them do not have the skills to turn that food into nutritious hearty meals.
Wickedfood Earth® is a self-sustaining lifestyle showcase. We’re apply at a holistic form of farming, based on the principles of organics, in its true form, and permaculture.
The concept of organic farming is a noble one, but unfortunately has been hijacked by big business as the latest buzzword two con consumers into parting with the cash. The whole concept of organics is based around a natural environment, where the forces of nature act in harmony to produce food, away from harmful pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, growth hormones, feedlots and animal cruelty. It is also about seasonality and local, and this is where the vast majority of proponents in the organic infrastructure get it wrong. We have processed products on a supermarket shelves marked organic where they have gone to great lengths to ensure that every component within the product is certified organic, a noble concept, but the jam processed in the Western Cape may very well have organically certified sugar and has been transported all the way from south America. Somewhere along the line something does not make sense to me.
At Wickedfood Earth® we grow and process local, and farm naturally, following the principles of Geonat Farming. What does that mean?
- Farming that is geographically spicific both as to where produce is sourced from as well as where it is distributed to; and farming in a natural environment, where the forces of nature act in harmony to produce food.
- Our vegetables and fruits are grown naturally, using only natural organically produced fertilizers and compost.
- We do not use pesticides or genetically modified seed stock.
- In our processed food, less than 10% of the ingredients used are grown outside a 100km radius of our processing facilities (these are mainly exotic tropical spices which add distinctive flavours). All produce and processed food produced at Wickedfood Earth® will only be sold with in a 100km of the processing/growing facility, ensuring that it is truly local.
- All of our animals have as national a life as possible, free ranging on pasture, foraging naturally, with no add antibiotics or growth hormones. We only treat the sick animals with antibiotics, or put them out of the misery in a quick humane way.
- Inevitably they have to be slaughtered, and once again this is done in a stress free environment after a natural, good, healthy life.