In 2022, for the first time, the Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School Team did a series of Charcuterie Workshop roadshows around South Africa.
For 2024 again, from May to September, we’ll be traveling to major centers and visiting smaller farming communities around the country to run a series of 1-, 2- and 3-day hands-on workshops. At the moment we are still working on the programme for 2024.
Should you wish to attend one of these workshops, please email me with your location so that we can try and accommodate you – Click here.
Should you have the facilities and feel you could get from 8 to 12 people together in your area, we would love to take the roadshow to you. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
An introduction to the wonderful world of charcuterie. This hands-on 3 full day workshop, includes all ingredients and lunch on all days. In this charcuterie workshop we will introduce you to the basics of the three main arts of meat curing – pig butchery, whole muscle dry curing and aging; brining whole cuts for hams and hot smoking; and how to make 2 classic pork sausages and the basics of making salami. R5 990pp or R2290 per day for only part of the workshop. Click Here for more.
In-depth 2-day charcuterie workshop
An introduction to the wonderful world of charcuterie. This hands-on 2 full day workshop, includes all ingredients and lunch on both days. In this charcuterie workshop we will introduce you to the basics of the 2 main arts of meat curing – whole muscle dry curing, how to make 2 classic pork sausages, and the basics of making salami. We do not cover brining in this workshop. R3 995pp or R2290 per day for only part of the workshop.
Techniques covered include:
Day one – Pork butchery and Whole muscle curing
- The science and theory of whole muscle curing – extensive notes and explanation of exactly how the process works including the use of different salts, drying and smoking techniques.
- How to break down a pig for charcuterie – hands-on demonstration of how to break down a pig carcass and the different charcuterie cuts;
- Whole Muscle Curing – the basics of dry curing for pancetta, bacon and coppa;
Day two – Making of Sausage and Salami
- The science and theory of making wet and dry sausage – extensive notes and explanation of exactly how the process works including salting, spicing, cultures, grinding, filling and drying.
- The basics of making 2 perfect pork sausages – for two very different classic pork sausages;
- Meat fermentation and how to make a basic pork salami – how spices and preservatives work, and grinding, stuffing and drying a classic salami.
Beef charcuterie Workshop
In this hands-on 2 full day workshop, we will introduce you to the basics of the three main arts of beef curing. R3 990pp.
Day 2 – how to make a classic boerewors, breakfast beef sausage, beef droewors and salami.
In-depth 2-day Venison charcuterie workshop
Looking at both large (kudu) and small antelope (impala). R3 990pp
Day 1 – How to break down a carcass on the two animals, butcher different fresh cuts and Ideas on how to cook them. Whole muscle curing and brining to make, biltong, cured loin and fillet, and corned venison;
Day 2 – how to make sausages. a classic venison boerewors, breakfast venison sausage, spicy venison meat stick, droewors and salami.
Advanced 2-day sausage and salami Workshop
More complicated processes and advanced spicing for truly unique sausages and salamis (participants in this workshop must have attended our 2 or 3 day introductory workshop so they have a good understanding of the basics of sausage making and fermentation for salami). R3 990pp or R2 290 per day for any one day of the workshop:
- Day 1 – Sausages We’ll show you the principles of how to interpret, adapt and develop a sausage recipe, and share 10 of our favourite sausage recipes with you. In the workshop we’ll make a selection of sausages from around the world including Thai Sai Ua, Mexican Chourizo, Greek Feta and mint, North African Lamb Merguez and American cheese griller.
- Day 2 – Salami Advanced dried sausage/salami making of 4 very different salamis from citrus flavoured venison salami, and hand crafted mini Italian salamis to Spanish chourizo, Pepperoni and the spectacular fiery Italian Nduja spreading salami.
To book Contact Cilla on 076 236-2345 or email@example.com
For more information on the charcuterie workshops contact Mike 060 761-0885.