Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School
Charcuterie Workshops 2020
Wickedfood Earth Farm Country cooking School has become synonymous with free-range pork, veld-raised beef and mutton, and top quality charcuterie, including our range of sausage, coppa, pancetta, bacon and ham, as well as our own South African cured meats – droewors, boerewors and biltong. At our country cooking school we offer hands-on charcuterie workshops where we share the knowledge we have accumulated over the years on processing pork, beef, mutton and venison in hunting season. Included in the price is coffee and tea on arrival, the in-depth hands-on cooking class, and lunch.
Wickedfood Earth Farm Country cooking School is pleased to announce that we have joined forces with Oryx Desert Salt as our official supplier of salt for this year’s charcuterie workshops. We believe that this is a superior curing salt to most of the other salts available as it is totally natural – no additives, no anti-clumping agents, and no preservatives. It is unrefined and unprocessed. Dried by the hot African desert sun from an underground brine lake, it takes only 4 weeks for the salt to crystalise.
Dates for the 2020 Gauteng charcuterie courses over the next winter curing season have now been set (with the hot summers and working with fresh meat, we only run classes in the cooler months). These charcuterie workshops are kept to a maximum of 12 participants so that everyone gets to be hands-on.
Alternatively if you are able to get a group of 10 people together we will run a charcuterie workshop exclusively for you and to sweeten the deal will offer you one free space (See also Introductory Charcuterie Workshop, below).
Workshops on offer from Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School are as follows:
South African Charcuterie pallet
The South African cured meat heritage – boerewors, droewors and biltong.
From R1 300pp – a minimum of 4 people. Hands-on workshop, all ingredients and lunch, or dinner if staying over (we reserve the right to allow up to 8 additional people to join the workshop, making a total of 12).
Not only has Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School become synonymous with free-range pork and top quality cured meat, we are also proud of our South African charcuterie heritage of curing veld-raised beef and venison in the form of boerewors, droewors and biltong. Commercially, most of these products are made with prepacked spice mixes. At Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School we use time honored methods that are more then 200 years old, handed down from Mike’s great grandparents. The recipes we use contain no artificial preservatives or flavour enhancers, just a balance of top quality spices, salt, sugar and vinegar, and of course time, patience, and quality meat.
Introductory charcuterie workshop
From R1 400pp – a minimum of 4 people. Hands-on workshop, all ingredients and lunch. (we reserve the right to allow up to 8 additional people to join the workshop, making a total of 12). In this charcuterie workshop we will introduce you the basics of the three main arts of meat curing – whole muscle curing, how to make a classic pork sausage, and the basics of making salami. This is an ideal workshop if you are able to get a group of 8 people together. We will run a charcuterie workshop exclusively for you, covering all the basics.
- How to break down a pig for charcuterie – hands-on demonstration of how to break down a pig carcass and the different charcuterie cuts;
- Whole Muscle Curing – the basics of dry curing for pancetta, bacon and coppa;
- The basics of making the perfect pork sausage – grinding, spicing and stuffing for a classic pork sausage;
- Meat fermentation and how to make a basic pork salami – how spices and preservatives work, and grinding and stuffing salami.
Fixed date charcuterie workshops
Whole Muscle Curing Workshop
Including how to break down a pig for charcuterie
Saturday 16 May 2020 – from 9:30am. R1 300pp. Hands-on full day workshop, all ingredients and lunch.
- Hands-on demonstration of how to break down a pig carcass and the different charcuterie cuts;
- Different cures for coppa, pancetta, bacon, ham, and
- Hands-on demonstration on how to prepare, apply cure and age the different cuts of meat;
- The art of wet curing or brining, and how to make the perfect ham;
- The secrets of hot smoking at home.
Introduction to sausage making Workshop
Saturday 6 June – from 9:30am. R1 200pp. Hands-on full day workshop, all ingredients and lunch.
- The basics of making the perfect pork sausage and boerewors, and the difference between them;
- How spices work and different blends for different types of sausage;
- How to develop your own unique sausage blends;
- Hands-on workshop, grinding, spicing and stuffing. Make 4 classic sausages – our classic award-winning boerewors, breakfast pork, Italian style and chourizo.
Introduction to Salami & dried Sausage Workshop
Saturday 4 July – 9:30am. R1 400pp – Included in the price is coffee and tea on arrival, the in-depth hands-on workshop and notes, and lunch.
- The basics of making the perfect meat and spice mix for droewors, cabanossi and classic pork salami, and the difference between them;
- How spices and preservatives work, and different blends for different types of dry sausage and salami;
- Making 4 classic dry sausages – classic South African droewors, cabanossi and 2 classic pork salamis.
Advanced salami and dried Sausage Workshop
Saturday 1 August – 9:30am. R1 500pp – Included in the price is coffee and tea on arrival, the in-depth hands-on workshop and notes, and lunch.
Techniques covered include:
- Advanced dried sausage/salami making of 4 very different salamis from hand crafted mini salamis to Spanish chourizo and the spectacular fiery Italian Nduja spreading salami.;
- Talk on the science of meat fermentation;
- Advanced spicing, working with cultures and preservatives;
- Making various 4 dry sausages and the secrets of complex stuffing techniques.
Cooked & smoked emulsion sausages workshop
Saturday 5 September – 9:30am. (R1 400pp). Techniques covered include:
- The art and science of emulation sausages, how to achieve the perfect unity between meat, fat, liquid and spices.
- Sausages covered in this workshop will include frankfurter, Weisswurst, mortadella and liver sausage;
- The secrets of complex stuffing techniques;
- Spice mixes and preservatives;
- Cooking and hot smoking.
To book Contact Cilla on 076 236-2345 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on the charcuterie workshops contact Mike 060 761-0885.
Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School runs evening, half-day, one-day, and week-end classes and food workshops. Every student gets to participate in the preparation of every dish, and sit down to enjoy the meal they have prepared at the end of the class. General cooking classes are limited to a maximum of 32 students, each 8 students has his/her own fully-equipped kitchen station (charcuterie workshops are kept to a maximum of 12 participants so that everyone gets to be hands-on). (Terms and conditions apply)