The end of the year is once more upon us, and for many it’s a time for cooking, eating festive meals with loved ones and a time to relax. If you are doing ham this Xmas try one of our cold sauce recipes to go with your hams, also great with cold roast beef or lamb. More….
Thanks for all the support during the year, whether it was a cooking workshop, team-building cooking class, our now very popular Sunday Mezze lunches (14 January) or feasts, or purchasing product from our online shop, it is through your ongoing generous support that we are able to continue to do our research and training, and survive as a small-scale farmer. We hope that you all have a well deserved break.
It has been a hard year for us. The late rains again this year and searing heat has literally turned large pockets of our rural landscape into a green desert – if you truly want to understand global warming and witness its effects, spend 6 months in the country. This year much less fruit than ever before, the ground water has dramatically decreased and many of the boreholes in the valley have dried up. At Wickedfood Earth we are down to under 5 000L of water a day (down from over 3 000L an hour just 3 years ago), just enough to irrigate our school gardens and quench the thirst of our animals. The bird life has also been great, many more species than we usually see (and troublesome at times, we are getting a lot more fruit damage than usual).
We have some great events planned for next year at Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School, as well as a few surprises – keep reading the newsletters. For the first two months we have:
- 14 January – Sunday Mezze lunch
- 28 January – BBQ inspired lunch and craft beer tasting
- February – Valentines cooking classes in the country
Have a very blessed Xmas break with your family and friends, enjoy any feasts you have planned, hope to see you at one of our events in the near future.
Mike, Cilla and the Wickedfood Earth Team
Take a drive out into the country to Wickedfood Earth Farm and take part in our ±1 1/2 hour hands-on workshop and Q&A session on making the very best liver pâté, preparing gammon and sauces for ham, how to de-bone and stuff a duck, and how to make the perfect Xmas pudding for hot weather. This will be followed by a 3-course lunch of the various components prepared as well as a taste of our wide range of preserves. At the same time stock up on goodies for your Xmas festive break (mail Mike to pre-order). R350pp (to book contact Cilla 076 236-2345, firstname.lastname@example.org). More ….
Wickedfood Earth Xmas products
We still have the opportunity for two collection dates for our hand-made products before Xmas:
- 17 December if you are attending our Wickedfood Earth Xmas Workshop; or
- 20 December between 10 – 11 am at Wickedfood Sunninghill.
We produce a variety of delicious fresh and cured meat cuts, bottled fruit and vegetables, including jams, whole fruit preserves and chutneys, and fresh naturally grown garlic. Our products will definitely add to your Xmas food experience, as well as make great sustainable gifts. We have the following products available (please don’t order on the online shop, mail Mike to order):
- Hams – We have once again produced limited hand-crafted hams for Christmas. Each ham is individually cured, dependent on its weight, using time-honoured, artisanal practices. All our hams are selected from our own free-range pigs. We do not use preservatives, or liquid smoke. Once cured, our hams are vacuum packed and flash frozen to lock in flavour, perfect for a hot Xmas day. We still have one 5,1kg gammon available @ R860.
- Cured meats – Great for Xmas cold meat platters – coppa, pancetta, beef bressoala, and salami, and some great other specials;
- Cold smoked bacon – Dry cured with our special spice cure and cold smoked by local master smoker, Roy Gibbs;
- Our famous sausage – 3 different pork, beef boerewors, and thin lamb sausage;
- Preserves, jams, relishes and bottled fruit, all hand made from Wickedfood Earth Farm fruit and vegetables.
Using the very best local, seasonal produce, our Sunday lunches are built around the best naturally grown ingredients available from Wickedfood Earth Farm and surrounding small scale producers, with a strong emphasis on generous portions of our award winning artisan cured meats, homemade pickles, freshly made dips, imaginative salads, freshly baked farm bread and seasonal dessert. More….
Next lunch: 14 January 2018 from 12pm, kitchen closes at 2pm, upfront bookings essential;
Cost: Mezze country lunch R195pp, Farm-made seasonal dessert, and coffee add R60pp
For this unique lunch, the Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School staff has been inspired by the art of cooking over an open fire and the unique flavour of small batch craft beers, especially brewed for the event. The Country Cooking School staff will combine their favourite South African braai techniques, with BBQ smoking and open fire cooking techniques of the Americas, to produce some really unique meat dishes. More…
For more information contact: Mike on 060 761-0885 or email@example.com
For bookings contact: Cilla on 076 236 2345 or firstname.lastname@example.org