Where – Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School, Hekpoort, Gauteng.
Cost – R5 600pp for all three days (we also have limited space for people who only want to do part of the workshop at R1990 per day).
To book – email@example.com or 076 236-2345
An introduction to the wonderful world of charcuterie. This hands-on 3 full day workshop, includes all ingredients and lunch on all days. In this charcuterie workshop we will introduce you to the basics of the three main arts of meat curing – pig butchery, whole muscle dry curing and aging; brining whole cuts for hams and hot smoking; and how to make 3 classic pork sausages and the basics of making salami.
Techniques covered include:
Day 1 – Brining for salt pork, ham, and more
- How to break down a pig for brined pork – hands-on demonstration of how to break down a pig carcass and the different brining cuts;
- The brine – An introduction to the wonderful world of brining meat and wet curing hams. We’ll introduce you to different brining mixes for various cuts of pork to make salt pork, shoulder hams, gammon, hot smoked belly bacon, kassler style smoked loin, and crispy pork knuckles;
- Hot smoking – how hot smoking works, smoking times and how to build a simple hot smoker at home;
- Gammon cooking methods – stove top and oven methods of how to cook the perfect juicy gammon.
Day 2 – Pork butchery and Whole muscle dry curing
- The science and theory of whole muscle dry curing – extensive notes and explanation of exactly how the process works including the use of different salts and drying techniques.
- How to break down a pig for dry- cure charcuterie – hands-on demonstration of how to break down a pig carcass and the different charcuterie cuts for dry curing;
- Whole Muscle Dry Curing – the basics of dry curing and aging for pancetta, bacon and coppa;
Day 3 – Making of Sausage and Salami
- The science and theory of making wet and dry sausage – extensive notes and explanation of exactly how the process works including salting, spicing, cultures, grinding, filling and drying.
- The basics of making 3 perfect pork sausages – classic breakfast pork, Italian style pork, fresh chourizo;
- Meat fermentation and how to make a basic pork salami – how spices and preservatives work, and grinding, stuffing and drying a classic salami.