The perfect oven-roast chicken in 30 minutes
Wickedfood Earth is a community training project, where we are giving back to local communities. Central to our project is our Country Cooking School, a fully functional training kitchen and surrounding kitchen gardens. As part of this project we are forming the Magalies Valley Ladies Cooking Club, where our knowledgeable instructors and guest presenters will do ±1 hour demonstrations, workshops and cooking classes around specific themes.
We will feature seasonal produce from the Valley. The Magalies Valley Ladies Cooking Club is aimed at the residents of the Valley, not only to increase their knowledge of seasonal, ethically produced produce, but also for a chance for them to meet the producers and network.
For our opening function, we will be featuring free-range chicken from local champion producer, Ruth of New Harmony farm. In this demonstration we’ll cover the following:
- The difference in quality and taste of chickens for sale in the Valley, factory produced verses proper free-range farmed;
- Adding flavour through brines and marinades;
- How to make the perfect oven-roast chicken in 30 minutes;
- How to portion a chicken and cooking methods for different cuts;
- How to carve a roast chicken.
Where: Wickedfood Earth on the R560 ±8km east of Hekpoort;
When: Thursday 21 May at 10am;
Cost: R50pp to cover ingredient costs;
RSVP: Cilla 076 236-2345 or firstname.lastname@example.org (Please note space is very limited on a first come basis);
- 10:00 – tea, coffee and biscuits on arrival;
- 10:30 to 11:30 – demonstration;
- 11:30 to 12:00 – tastings and question time.