White River, Mpumalanga
Where – on Versot Farm, just outside White River, Mpumalanga.
Cost – R3 490pp for both days.
To book – email@example.com or 076 236-2345
An introduction to the wonderful world of charcuterie. This hands-on 2 full day workshop, includes all ingredients and lunch on all days. In this charcuterie workshop we will introduce you to the basics of the arts of meat curing – pig butchery, whole muscle dry curing and aging; and how to make 3 classic pork sausages and the basics of making salami.
Techniques covered include:
Day 1 – Pork butchery and Whole muscle dry curing
- The science and theory of whole muscle dry curing – extensive notes and explanation of exactly how the process works including the use of different salts and drying techniques.
- How to break down a pig for dry-cure charcuterie – hands-on demonstration of how to break down a pig carcass and the different charcuterie cuts for dry curing;
- Whole Muscle Dry Curing – the basics of dry curing and aging for pancetta, bacon and coppa;
Day 3 – Making of Sausage and Salami
- The science and theory of making wet and dry sausage – extensive notes and explanation of exactly how the process works including salting, spicing, cultures, grinding, filling and drying.
- The basics of making 3 perfect pork sausages – classic breakfast pork, Italian style pork, fresh chourizo;
- Meat fermentation and how to make a basic pork salami – how spices and preservatives work, and grinding, stuffing and drying a classic salami.