Making salami is considered by many as the pinnacle to meat curing and fermentation. Get it right and you have a product to be truly proud of. Get it wrong and you could poison everyone who eats it. Join the Wickedfood Earth team at our teaching kitchen for this hands-on workshop.
When: 5 August 2023 at 9:30am
Where: Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School, R560, Hekpoort, Gauteng, in the Magalies Valley.
Cost: R2 190pp a maximum of 8 people for very in-depth hands-on instruction. Includes, all ingredients and lunch.
To book: email@example.com or WhatsApp 076 236-2345
Wickedfood Earth Farm has become synonymous with free-range pork and top quality charcuterie, including our range of sausage, coppa, pancetta, bacon and ham. At our country cooking school we offer hands-on charcuterie workshops where we share the knowledge we have accumulated over the years on processing pork and other meats. Included in the price is coffee and tea on arrival, the in-depth hands-on workshop, and lunch. To give every participant a good in-depth, hands-on experience this workshop is limited to a maximum of 8 participants.
Techniques covered include:
- Advanced dried sausage/salami making of 4 very different hand-crafted salamis from venison salami, and hand crafted mini salamis to Spanish chourizo and the spectacular fiery Italian Nduja spreading salami;
- How commercial spice mixes and batch packs work for large production processing, and how to make salami from them;
- Talk on the science of advanced meat fermentation;
- How cultures and fermenting agents work and how to make them yourself for hand-crafted artisanal salamis;
- Advanced spicing, working with cultures and preservatives;
- Making 5 very different dry sausages (salami) and the secrets of complex stuffing techniques.