Making salami is considered by many as the pinnacle to meat curing and fermentation. Get it right and you have a product to be truly proud of. Get it wrong and you could poison everyone who eats it. Join the Wickedfood Earth team at our teaching kitchen for this hands-on workshop.
When: 1 July 2023 at 9:30am
Where: Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School, R560, Hekpoort, Gauteng, in the Magalies Valley.
Cost: R1 990pp, includes Hands-on workshop, detailed notes, all ingredients and lunch.
To book: firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp 076 236-2345
Wickedfood Earth Farm has become synonymous with free-range pork and top quality charcuterie, including our range of sausage, coppa, pancetta, bacon and ham. At our country cooking school we offer hands-on charcuterie workshops where we share the knowledge we have accumulated over the years on processing pork and other meats. Included in the price is coffee and tea on arrival, the in-depth hands-on workshop, and lunch. To give every participant a good hands-on experience these classes are limited to a maximum of 12 participants per workshop.
Techniques covered include:
- The basics of making the perfect meat and spice mix, and the difference between them, for:
- how to use pre-mixed batch packs;
- making a classic pork salami and chourizo from scratch;
- How spices and preservatives work, and different blends for different types of dry sausage and salami;
- How cultures and fermenting agents work and how to make them yourself;
- Making 4 classic dry sausages – classic South African droewors, pre-mixed batch pack salami and 2 classic pork salamis.