At Wickedfood Earth Farm we run a small herd of Dexter cattle, which we slaughter, and process in-house to ensure that we have complete traceability of all our meat. We also buy in carcasses from local ethical small-scale farmers in the area. All the cattle that we use are veld-raised, and completely free-range, using no routine antibiotics and growth hormones or stimulants. Due to our natural farming practises, our animals take on average, twice as long to reach maturity as factory-farmed animals. This means that the muscles of the animals get to work, which ensures added flavour.
We dry-age the carcasses in a controlled environment for a minimum of 2 weeks and up to 4 weeks. Dry-ageing is a process commonly used in beef, that improves the flavour of meat, by allowing the natural enzymes in the meat to break down the tissue through hanging. The process also allows the water in the meat to evaporate, by between 10% and 15%, thus concentrating the flavour.
Beef cuts for sale
All beef is available, by prior arrangement, at Wickedfood Earth Farmin Hekpoort.
We butcher and package all our meat in-house, which ensures complete tractability from veld to table. We flash freeze and vacuum seal our meat to lock in freshness at its peak. On top of this our meat is on average between 15% and 40% below the cost of comparative cuts found on leading supermarket shelves.
From time to time we slaughter an ox. For meat lovers this will be a unique opportunity to purchase true veld raised and finished beef that has been well hung to dry-age. We are offering you the chance to buy a fore- and/or hind-quarters that we will age, portion into the various cuts, vacuum pack and label. Both fore- and hind-quarters weigh in at ±40kg to ±50kg (Click here for a diagram of the different cuts):
- Fore-quarter @ ±R85/kg slaughtered weight – Because the forequarter contains about 2% to 4% more bone and connective tissue, it is far tastier, although less tender. The percentage of fat in the fore and hindquarters is nearly the same. Cuts include:
- Prime rib or rib eye
- Hump – for stew, mince or boerewors
- Neck – for stew, mince or boerewors
- Shin – for stew
- Bolo – for roast, stir-fry, lean mince, biltong
- Chuck – for slow roast or stew
- Flat rib – for slow roast or stew
- Brisket – for slow roast or stew
- Mince or boerewors
- Hind-quarter @ ±R95/kg slaughtered weight – contains more tender cuts that include many great steak cuts for quick cooking (braaiing, pan-frying and grilling), and roasts. Cuts include:
- Flank – for slow roast, mince or boerewors
- Wing rib – roast, club steak or sirloin
- Loin – roast, sirloin, T-bone or club steak (minus the fillet)
- Rump – steaks, roast, biltong
- Topside – roast, biltong, mince
- Silverside- roast, biltong, mince
- Shin – slow roast or stew
For more information or to order contact Mike 060 761-0885 or email@example.com