Join the Wickedfood Earth Team for a hands-on 2-day Charcuterie Workshop, where we’ll introduce you to the basics of pork brining and hot smoking to make your very own gammon and Christmas hams on day one, and Christmas stuffings for porchetta or turkey, and making mouthwatering pâtés and terrines for the Christmas feast on day 2.
When: 2 to 3 December 2023 – from 9:30am on both days;
Where: Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School, R560, Hekpoort, Gauteng, in the Magalies Valley.
Cost: R1 990pp per day or R3 500pp for both days – includes all ingredients, extensive notes and lunch.
To book: email@example.com or WhatsApp 076 236-2345
An introduction to the wonderful world of brining meat, curing hams, Christmas stuffings for porchetta or turkey, and making mouthwatering pâtés and terrines for the Christmas feast. This hands-on workshop, includes lunch on both days.
We have various cuts of our own veld-raised pork for you to purchase to cure at home after the class, to finish for Christmas, including:
- ±2kg to 3,5kg hams and shoulders at R90/kg;
- A limited number of suckling pigs and loin/belly roasts for stuffing for porchetta;
- Pork cubes, mince and pork liver for making your very own stuffings, pâtés and terrines.
Day 1 – Brining and Hams
2 December – We will show you how to break down a big pig for brining and introduce you to the basics of brining various cuts of pork to make hams, hot smoked bacon, smoked loins, and a lot more.
- How to break down a pig – hands-on demonstration of how to break down a pig carcass and the different brining cuts;
- The brine – how brine works, how to apply it to meat and timing;
- Hot smoking – how hot smoking works, smoking times and how to build a simple hot smoker at home;
- Gammon cooking methods – stove top and oven methods of how to cook the perfect juicy Christmas gammon.
Day 2 – Christmas stuffings, pâtés and terrines
3 December – We’ll cover all aspects of making Christmas stuffings for porchetta or turkey, and making mouthwatering pâtés and terrines for the Christmas feast.
Techniques covered include:
- Preparing and stuffing pork for porchetta – hands-on demonstration of how to break down a baby pig carcass or loin/belly of pork, stuff it and roast it;
- Making two very different Christmas stuffings – for porchetta and turkey;
- Making a selection of pâtés – from a rustic pork & liver country pâté, to smooth, rich liver mousse;
- Terrines – two very different ones, perfect for a cold buffet festive lunch.