Through the ongoing consumption of ever increasing quantities of fossil fuels, together with the destruction of natural habitats and continual use of synthetic poisons, we are fast destroying the environment that we depend upon for our survival.
Two of the biggest culprits are the building industry and agriculture. At present our whole way of life is based on oil consumption, whether it be through construction, supply of energy for heating and cooling, manufacturing of chemicals, or transportation.
- Buildings consume 40-50% of the world’s energy. Green building can reduce energy consumption by 70%.
- More than 50% of the oil consumption in the world is used for the manufacturing of conventional building materials.
To conserve our present environment, it is imperative that we start making ecological decisions that will sustain our future. Unlike coal, oil and gas, solar power is a renewable form of energy that won’t run out. It’s also non-polluting, producing no greenhouse gas emissions. The same applies to alternative building materials such as wood, recycled steel, straw bale and adobe.
To be sustainable you need to:
- Get closer to the earth and be gentle on the environment;
- Live in houses that are more eco friendly;
- Consume less energy and use more sustainable resources;
- Grow a selection of your own produce, or eat food that is grown ether organically, or subscribes to sustainable farming practices;
- Embrace the principle of eating with the seasons;
- Be aware of food miles – on average, food travels about ±4,000 km from the farm gate via the factory, warehouses and supermarket, before it reaches the consumer – therefore try to by local, and support farmers markets.
Wickedfood Earth® subscribes to the ethos of sustainability. We are a sustainable lifestyle project being developed in the Hartebeesfontein Conservancy, located within the Magalies Meander Tourism area.