Preserving to us at Wickedfood Earth Country cooking School is all about locking all that summer goodness up in a bottle to enjoy at a later date. Wickedfood Earth Farm has become synonymous with top quality preserves. Our food gardens and orchards are planted with a wide variety of heirloom vegetables and herbs, and the extensive orchards have over 50 varieties of fruit and nut trees, and berries. The Wickedfood Earth Farm food gardens are internationally recognized by Slow Food as an important educational garden. At Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School we bottle all excess fruit and vegetables at the peak of their ripeness. All our fruit and vegetables are grown along organic lines free of insecticides, fertilizers or any other poisons. We hand make small batches of a wide range of preservative-free preserves, jams, chutneys, relishes, sauces, vinegars and bottled fruit. This ensures that we do not need to over process, which results in concentrated, natural flavours. All income from the sale of the produce goes back into the running costs of the farm so that we can continue our education and research work.
Now, for the first time we are going to share the techniques, tips and methods in this exciting new preserving workshop. Subjects covered in this preserving workshop include:
- The basics of preserving for a long shelf-life;
- General principles of preserving and preparing fruit for processing, including some secrets on easy pealing of difficult fruit;
- Working with sugar, vinegar, spices and herbs;
In total we will bottle 6 unique preserves, samples of which you will get to take home with you. They will include:
- Jam – stone fruit or berry;
- The art of making konfyt – pumpkin konfyt;
- Bottling of whole sweet/sour vegetables in vinegar – cucumber or sweet peppers;
- How to make delicious fruit and vegetable sauces – Asian plum sauce;
- Interesting fruit and vegetable combinations for chutneys and relishes;
- Farmyard relish – a great all-round relish changing with the seasons dependent on availability;
- Curried Peach Chutney – delicious served on the side of a cheese board, with curries, on burgers, pulled pork sandwiches, or in potato and chicken salads.
The final of products could change and will be dependent on seasonal availability on the day.
- Workshop only – R1 100pp for the workshop including extensive notes, hands on preserving workshop, 6 sample bottles of preserves made, and light lunch (we are not licensed, but you are welcome to bring your own wine, beers or soft drinks in a cooler box with ice);
- Workshop with accommodation – R1 950pp sharing, including up to 2 nights accommodation and breakfast (first night dinner on request).
When – Saturday 21 March from 9:30, workshop will start at 10:00 sharp (fully booked, email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be placed on the waiting list for the next workshop scheduled for sometime in April).
Where – Wickedfood Earth Farm, R560, Hekpoort, ±70km from Fourways and Pretoria.
For more information, or to book:
Booking office – Cilla 076 236-2345 or email@example.com;
Information and event planning – Mike 060 761 0885 firstname.lastname@example.org