Picnics at Wickedfood Earth Farm are open on selected Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays, Click here to book.
Table of contents – Jump to
(Pre-booking essential – for your own protection access to the property is only granted to those people with paid-up pre-bookings. Please note: NO pets, fires, smoking or uncontrolled children. In the unlikely event of rain we have ample covered seating surrounding our vegetable gardens.)
Wickedfood Earth Farm is now open for business again, offering unique picnics at 15 designated, exclusive picnic spots, and relaxing nature walks with a strong emphasis on natural surroundings, birds, veld flowers and trees. We are located on a sustainable working farm, in Gauteng, following organic farming philosophies, just 70km from Fourways, close to both Johannesburg and Pretoria, in the Magalies Valley, between Magaliesburg and Hartebeespoort.
Agri mezze picnic brunch
Due to the present Covid-19 Pandemic, we have developed a unique & safe environment for a special day out in the country. We now offer hearty picnics where we package a selection of ±10 easy-to-eat mezze dishes as take-away picnic hampers to be enjoyed at special clearings in our indigenous forest. All food is pre-prepared following strict health protocols as laid out in the regulations. We use the very best locally grown, seasonal produce and farm-cured meats. Just bring your own drinks, eating utensils and glasses in a picnic basket. We even provide sanitized chairs and tables (In the unlikely event of rain we have ample covered seating surrounding our vegetable gardens). See below for more on our food and bookings.
Apart from regular picnics over weekends, we also run special themed picnics on important celebration dates – limited availability so book early. For 2021 these include:
- Easter Sunday Easter Egg-hunt and brunch, 4 April – R250 per person for everyone over 2 years. For children of 2 to 12, this will include ±10 chocolate Easter eggs of different sizes per child, that we will hide around your designated picnic spot, and a child’s picnic hamper. To book this event, please contact Cilla by email at Cilla@Wickedfood.co.za or call during business hours on 076 236 2345.
- Mothers Day, 9 May -This year, taking into account the present Covid-19 Pandemic, we have developed a unique & safe environment for a special day out in the country. We have a number of special clearings in our indigenous forest at the farm, accommodating from two to 16 people per picnic sight. At each site, we will set a sanitized table and chairs, and provide a picnic hamper of a selection of mezze dishes (please bring your own picnic utensils, glasses and drinks). We will also gift each mother a beautiful locally grown flowering pot plant. In the unlikely event of rain we have ample covered seating surrounding our vegetable gardens) @ R295pp, R150 per child between 2 and 10.
Our 15 secluded, well spaced-out picnic spots, spread over 40ha, are linked to a ±4km nature walk in a safe outdoor venue, with parking areas no more than 200m walk from each picnic spot. Along the way, you can enjoy the best that nature has to offer on our unique piece of indigenous high-veld forest and grasslands, from a wide variety of trees to over 100 different flower and grass species, and more than 120 bird and small mammal species. Bring along your bird, tree or wildflower books, a pair of binoculars and some comfortable walking shoes, to enjoy our little piece of Eden. As an added bonus, because we are well fenced with access only to those with pre-bookings, you know you can relax in a secure environment. Our emphasis is on peace and quiet so that you can enjoy the solitude.
This is a no-smoking space and is not pet friendly. We love well-behaved children (we request that children are under the strict supervision of parents at all times, no ball games, please respect the environment). NO FIRES.
We are fortunate to have over 120 bird and small mammal species that visit us from time to time. All the birds in the strip above were photographed on Wickedfood Earth Farm. From tiny blue waxbills and sunbirds to kingfishers, and a wide variety of raptors including 4 species of owls. Other wildlife commonly spotted includes mongoose, tree squirrels, jackal and the occasional snake.
Wickedfood Earth Farm straddles two important eco-systems of the high-veld, grassland and forest. Our unique forest represents most of the tree species that originally grew in the area. On the grasslands and forest floor, a wide variety of flowering plants can be found and for the keen nature photographer and artist, it’s an absolute paradise especially in spring and summer.
Facilities and food
(Pre-booking essential – for your protection access to the property is only granted to those people with paid-up pre-bookings. In the unlikely event of rain we have ample covered seating surrounding our vegetable gardens.)
The Wickedfood Earth Farm is now open for our Picnics and Nature Walk on selected Saturday, Sunday and Public Holiday (with certain days every month especially reserved for Family days, where families can bring their small children to experience the great outdoors and organic farm life first hand). We’re also open during the week for special interest groups, subject to a minimum of 8 people, and subject to availability. To secure a spot you need to book at least 2 days’ prior. We are not a restaurant. Each week the Wickedfood Earth Farm kitchen prepares a selection of small mezze dishes, perfect for country picnics, using the very best locally grown, seasonal produce, catering specifically for that day’s bookings (we, unfortunately, do not have the facilities to cater for special dietary requirements). Our food is built around the naturally-grown ingredients available from Wickedfood Earth Farm and surrounding small-scale producers. The Wickedfood Earth Farm food gardens around the kitchen have been internationally recognized by Slow Food. Several items offered in our picnic packs are also available for sale through our farm deli on the day. For certain items, it is advisable to pre-order to avoid disappointment. We limit numbers to a maximum of 15 groups of between 2 and 10 people, spread over 40ha.
As we move into summer, in the unlikely event of rain on the day, we have ample covered seating surrounding our vegetable gardens and will set up tables there. All seating will comply with all COVID protocols to ensure social distancing while eating. Other than that, everything remains the same, your picnic hampers will be ready from 12h00 to 12h30 on your tables. We would still encourage you to be prepared for walking prior to your picnic and would suggest that you come appropriately dressed for rain and a bit of mud, with good walking shoes/boots and a raincoat for just in case (no dogs, ball games, bicycles or fires).
Wickedfood Earth Farm & Country Cooking School is proud to be a member of Slow Food Chefs’ Alliance, South Africa. The Alliance is an international network of chefs who are committed to promoting small-scale, locally produced “good, clean and fair” foods, safeguarding agricultural biodiversity at risk of extinction and giving visibility and the proper value to their supplying producers.
The content of our picnic hampers vary from week to week, with a selection of ±10 generous mezze dishes individually packaged, all prepared with a strong emphasis on our seasonal farm produce including:
- sweet pastry, and farm bread, baked in the country cooking school’s kitchens, with farm butter and homemade jam;
- Savory vegetarian quiche;
- award-winning artisanal cured meats and farm-made soft cheeses made at the country cooking school;
- farm pickles produced in the country cooking school kitchens;
- freshly made dips from organically grown vegetables and herbs (we even make our own tahini sauce) from the country cooking school’s internationally recognized food gardens;
- imaginative salad of fruit and vegetables also from the country cooking school’s food gardens.
- Mezze picnic brunch hampers, from R490 for two people sharing, R245 for each additional person, minimum 2 people (8 during weekdays). Kids’ hamper 2 to 10 years old R150 per person, will consist of a pita bread, a meat or vegetarian dish such as egg or chicken mayonnaise or mini farm-made sausages, quiche or pie, fritters, salad, and sweet pastry (for children under 2 please bring their own food)
- Price also includes entrance fee, the use of our toilets, walking trail, and designated picnic spot with sanitized table and chairs;
- What to bring:
- Your own water, drinks, glasses and ice;
- Eating utensils and plates.
Space for these Picnics and Nature Walks, at Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School, is limited to a maximum of 15 private picnic sites, so book early to avoid disappointment. All picnic sites are within 200m of a strategically placed parking areas (In the unlikely event of rain we have ample covered seating surrounding our vegetable gardens).
Exclusively for families with young children
We know that many of you with young children would also like to give them an opportunity to connect with nature. We are therefore opening the farm up for families on specific days each month More…
Up-front booking essential, no booking confirmed without payment in full, no refunds, no pets, bicycles, ball games or fires (terms and conditions apply). For your protection, access to the property is only granted to those people with bookings.
The nature walk is open from 07h00 until 13h00. Picnics will be available for collection between 9h00 and 102h00.
Wickedfood Earth Farm Country cooking School is pleased to announce that we have joined forces with Oryx Desert Salt as our official supplier of salt. We believe that this is a superior salt to most of the other salts available as it is natural – no additives, no anti-clumping agents, and no preservatives. It is unrefined and unprocessed. Dried by the hot African desert sun from an underground brine lake, it takes only 4 weeks for the salt to crystalise.
All activities held at Wickedfood Earth Farm are subject to our standard terms and conditions.