(Pre-booking essential – for your own protection access to the property is only granted to those people with paid-up pre-bookings. In the unlikely event of rain we have ample covered well spaced seating surrounding our vegetable gardens. Please note: NO pets, fires, ball games, bicycles, smoking or uncontrolled children.)
Wickedfood Earth Farm offers 15 unique picnic spots, and relaxing nature walks with a strong emphasis on natural surroundings, birds, veld flowers and trees. We are located on a sustainable working farm, following organic farming philosophies, just 70km from Fourways, close to both Johannesburg and Pretoria, in the Magalies Valley, between Magaliesburg and Hartebeespoort.
Due to heat in the middle of the day and possible afternoon thunderstorms, in summer we open from 07:00 to 13:00. This is an ideal time for birders to enjoy sightings of all our summer visitors. For the early risers, we offer tea and coffee as well as a rusk or muffin on arrival, between 07:00 and 08:00. Our brunch picnic hampers are available for collection between 9:00 and 10:00
Facilities and food
The Wickedfood Earth Farm is open for Picnics and Nature Walk on selected Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays. We’re also open during the week for special interest groups, subject to a minimum of 8 people, and subject to availability. To secure a spot you need to book at least 2 days’ prior. We are not a restaurant. Each week the Wickedfood Earth Farm kitchen prepares a selection of small mezze dishes, perfect for country picnics, using the very best locally grown, seasonal produce, catering specifically for that day’s bookings (we, unfortunately, do not have the facilities to cater for special dietary requirements). Our food is built around the naturally-grown ingredients available from Wickedfood Earth Farm and surrounding small-scale producers. The Wickedfood Earth Farm food gardens around the kitchen have been internationally recognized by Slow Food. A number of items offered in our picnic packs are also available for sale through our farm deli on the day. For certain items, it is advisable to pre-order to avoid disappointment. We limit numbers to a maximum of 15 groups of between 2 and 16 people per group, spread over 40ha.
As we move into summer, in the unlikely event of rain on the day, we have ample covered seating surrounding our vegetable gardens and will set up tables there. All seating will comply with all COVID protocols to ensure social distancing while eating. Other than that, everything remains the same, your picnic hampers will be ready from 9h00 to 10h00 on your tables. We would still encourage you to be prepared for walking prior to your picnic and would suggest that you come appropriately dressed for rain and a bit of mud, with good walking shoes/boots and a raincoat for just in case (no dogs, ball games, bicycles or fires).
The content of our picnic hampers vary from week to week, with a selection of ±10 generous mezze dishes individually packaged, all prepared with a strong emphasis on our seasonal farm produce including:
- sweet pastry, and farm bread, baked in the country cooking school’s kitchens, with farm butter and homemade jam;
- Savory vegetarian quiche;
- award-winning artisanal cured meats and farm-made soft cheeses made at the country cooking school;
- farm pickles produced in the country cooking school kitchens;
- freshly made dips from organically grown vegetables and herbs (we even make our own tahini sauce) from the country cooking school’s internationally recognized food gardens;
- imaginative salad of fruit and vegetables also from the country cooking school’s food gardens;
- Mezze picnic brunch hampers, from R490 for two people sharing, R245 for each additional person, minimum 2 people (8 during weekdays). Kids’ hamper 2 to 10 years old R150 per person, will consist of bread, a meat or vegetarian dish such as egg or chicken mayonnaise or mini farm-made sausages, quiche or pie, fritters, salad, and sweet pastry (for children under 2 please bring their own food)
- Price also includes entrance fee, the use of our toilets, walking trail, and designated picnic spot with sanitized table and chairs;
- What to bring:
- Your own water, drinks, glasses and ice;
- Eating utensils and plates.
Space for these Picnics and Nature Walks, at Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School, is limited to a maximum of 15 private picnic sites, so book early to avoid disappointment. All picnic sites are within 200m of a strategically placed parking areas (In the unlikely event of rain we have ample covered seating surrounding our vegetable gardens).
Up-front booking essential, no booking confirmed without payment in full, no refunds, no pets (terms and conditions apply). For your own protection, access to the property is only granted to those people with bookings.
The nature walk is open from 7h00 until 13h00. Picnics will be available for collection between 9h00 and 9h30. To make a booking please select from the picnic sites below (in the unlikely event of rain we have ample covered seating surrounding our vegetable gardens):
Picnic Site No.1
Picnic Site No.2
Picnic Site No.3
Picnic Site No.4
Picnic Site No.5
Picnic Site No.6
Picnic Site No.7
Picnic Site No.8
Picnic Site No.11
Picnic Site No.12
Picnic Site No.13
Picnic Site No.14
Picnic Site No.15
Or for more information, Contact Cilla on 076 236-2345 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
All activities held at Wickedfood Earth Farm are subject to our standard terms and conditions.