The cycle of the seasons keeps us busy as always at Wickedfood Earth Farm and Country Cooking School. With winter, we are once again making our popular bacon and other cold meats. Our first 3 charcuterie workshops for the year were all fully subscribed. We are putting on one more basic workshop on 31 August – Introductory charcuterie workshop, as well as 2 more advance workshops. More….
Due to demand we are now offering our popular gourmet country lunches 7 days a week, see below. We also now have limited accommodation for up to 4 people, and so are offering weekend or 2 day in-depth food experiences tailor-made to your food interests. More…
Special Farm Lunches. This Saturday, 6 July, we will be offering one of our unique country lunches, showcasing our veld-raised Pedi lamb and mutton. Building on the success of past Pedi sheep events at Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School, our cooking school chef will be using unique cooking methods and seasonal produce to create a memorable feast with a fusion of Mexican and Middle Eastern undertones. Booking essential, only 12 spaces still available. More….
Over the last month we have been developing some delicious new preserves and bottled products, including:
- Pomegranate Juice – Pure fresh juice unfiltered, with no added sugar.
- Raspberry vinegar and jam – made with organically grown berries picked at the height of their ripeness to give maximum sweetness.
- Pumpkin konfyt – delicious with cheese and cold meats.
- Adobo Chilli Paste – in 3 strengths, this is the sauce that makes Mexican cuisine sing. Use liberally as a marinade for braaied and slow roasted meats. Also great as a spicy dressing for cooked vegetables.
Wickedfood Earth Farm & Country Cooking School has become synonymous with free-range pork and top quality charcuterie, including our range of sausage, coppa, pancetta, bacon and ham. Due to the great demand for these workshops we are planning one more basic workshop in August and two more advanced workshops:
- Saturday 31 August, Introductory charcuterie workshop – from 9:30am. (R1 200pp). We introduce you to the basics of the three main arts of meat curing – whole muscle curing, how to make a classic pork sausage, and the basics of making salami.
- 14 September, Advanced salami and dried Sausage Workshop 9:30am. (R1 400pp – includes two different salami cultures, a mold culture, 1kg dextrose and some extra large casings). Techniques covered include advanced dried sausage/salami making from hand crafted mini salamis to lamb, mixed meats and large chunk salamis, as well as other dried sausages including Spanish chourizo;
- 26 October, Cooked and smoked emulsion sausages workshop – 9:30am. (R1 400pp). Techniques covered include:The art and science of emulation sausages, how to achieve the perfect unity between meat, fat, liquid and spices.
We now offer our popular gourmet country lunches 7 days a week (subject to availability and a minimum charge for 4 people). Come spend a relaxing day in the country and enjoy a gourmet feast surrounded by our internationally recognised gardens, full of winter produce, where you are free to wander through. The menus feature seasonal organic produce grown on the farm, including our own veld-raised pork, lamb, beef, and cured meats and preserves. Booking essential – from R295pp. More…
Special Event Lunches
- Saturday 6 July, Pedi lamb feast – building on the success of last Pedi events at Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School, the cooking school plans once again to showcase that veld-raised Pedi lamb and mutton have more flavour than most lamb from the famed Karoo meat. The cooking school chef will be using unique cooking methods and seasonal produce to create a memorable feast with strong Middle Eastern undertones;
- Sunday 4 August, Suckling Pig Lunch – 4-course meal, prepared by the cooking school, including a selection of farm cured meats, to wood roasted suckling pig, accompanied by farm grown winter crops and preserves.
- Sunday 25 August, Venison Tasting Menu – Join the Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School team for a delicious venison tasting feast. This lunch forms part of our themed exclusive Sunday lunches to showcase how flavourful antibiotic and growth hormone-free veld-raised meat is. We will be offering a 4-course mezze menu of ±15 dishes, showcasing the best of venison from different animals, taking traditional South African recipes and giving them a facelift, from our popular air dried carpaccio, pâtés and terrines, to succulent wood roasted venison, served with farm grown winter vegetables, and of course a hearty winter pudding.
- Meat sales
- All our meat is grown on Wickedfood Earth Farm. We slaughter locally with no stress to the animal, and process in-house to ensure that we have complete trace-ability of all our meat. Animals are veld-raised, and completely free-range, using no routine antibiotics and growth hormones or stimulants. Our animals take, on average, twice as long to reach maturity as factory-farmed animals. This means that the muscles of the animals get to work, which ensures added flavour.
- Beef – At Wickedfood Earth we run a small herd of Dexter cattle, we dry-age the carcasses in a controlled environment for 24 days, before butchering, and then vacuum packing and freezing the meat. Dry-ageing is a process not commonly used in beef any longer as it allows the water in the meat to evaporate, by between 10% and 15%, thus adding to production costs. This method however, improves the flavour of meat, by allowing the natural enzymes in the meat to break down the tissue, through hanging.
- Lamb – We have 5 fat Pedi lambs that are ready for slaughter. We need ±7 days from slaughter to packaging. Selling at R1 950 for the whole lamb of about 13kg, and R890 for a half lamb of ± 6.5kg slaughtered, butchered, packaged and labelled.
Collection – we are offering 4 options, please click here for an order form:
- At the next lunch event at Wickedfood Earth in Hekpoort;
- By prior arrangement at Wickedfood Earth in Hekpoort;
- By prior arrangement in Lonehill;
- Door to door in Northern Johannesburg at R100 per delivery.
Sustainable cooking classes
Wickedfood Earth Farm & Country Cooking School is a proud member of Slow Food Chefs’ Alliance. The Alliance is an international network of chefs who are committed to promoting small-scale, locally produced “good, clean and fair” foods, and safeguarding agricultural biodiversity. This new and exciting cooking class for small groups of up to 12 people is all about these principles – a tour of the gardens, a discussion about agricultural biodiversity, cooking a basket of the freshest seasonal produce and finishing off with a delicious 3-course menu you have prepared together. More…
Wickedfood Earth Farm Country cooking School is pleased to announce that we have joined forces with Oryx Desert Salt as our official supplier of salt. We believe that this is a superior salt to most of the other salts available as it is totally natural – no additives, no anti-clumping agents, and no preservatives. It is unrefined and unprocessed. Dried by the hot African desert sun from an underground brine lake, it takes only 4 weeks for the salt to crystalise.
Looking forward to welcoming you to one of our events during the course of the year.
Mike, Cilla and the Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School Team.
Bookings – contact Cilla on 076 236-2345 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Products and special events – Mike, 060 761-0885, email@example.com