The big news of the month is that Wickedfood Earth Farm & Country Cooking School is proud to announce that it has been invited to become a member of Slow Food Chefs’ Alliance, South Africa. The Alliance is an international network of chefs who are committed to promoting small-scale, locally produced “good, clean and fair” foods, safeguarding agricultural biodiversity at risk of extinction and giving visibility and the proper value to their supplying producers.
Since inception Wickedfood Earth Farm & Country Cooking School has been following these principles and it is gratifying that the hard work we have put in is at last receiving international recognition.
To celebrate, over the next 2 months we have planned some great events, showcasing both the great produce that is being produced on Wickedfood Earth Farm, as well as by other small ethical producers in the valley, and some serious cooking, turning this produce into a showstopping feasts. These include:
- 3 June – Sunday Mezze lunch;
- 17 June – Roast Suckling Pig Lunch;
- 24 June – Sunday Mezze lunch;
- 8 July – Veld-raised beef lunch;
- 22 July – Sunday Mezze lunch;
These themed lunches are built around the flavourful antibiotic and growth hormone-free veld-raised meat we produce on the farm. Those attending will also have the opportunity to pre-order our meat as well as some of our farm made products.
On the meat side:
- We still have some beef – mince, stew, roasts and boerewors;
- Lambs and hoggets (lamb between 12 and 18 months old, so it knows a thing or two about flavour) ready for slaughter – we need 10 days lead-in time and will slaughter, hang, butcher, vacuum pack and label;
- And on the pig side we have resurrected our pig breeding programme and will slowly start again to sell limited pork, hopefully we’ll have some sucking pigs by September.
Look forward to welcoming you to one of our events in the next few months.
Mike, Cilla and the Wickedfood Earth Team.