Welcome to 2015. We look forward to a year of scrumptious food. At Wickedfood Earth we have an exciting food year ahead. The Country Cooking School is now fully operational and we have an exciting programme lined up for the January and February.
Diary of the farm
With summer in full swing, our kitchen trainees are flat out with hands-on training on processing a delicious selection of fruit and vegetables into jams, chutneys, relishes and preserves. At the moment we have:
- A bumper crop of green beans,
- 2 varieties of heirloom tomatoes
- A number of chilli varieties which are starting to ripen.
- The last of the peaches are being harvested,
- We are eating some delicious big, juicy, green figs.
- Dark red, sweet, and slightly tart raspberries and blackberries.
Cooking classes and food workshop programme
We have 4 exciting cooking classes lined up for the next two months (click here for the full programme):
- Sunday 25 January at 9:30am – Pasta and sauces. How to make 3 basic pasta shapes from scratch, cook the perfect pasta, and a variety of quick and easy sauces. More…
- Wednesday 4 February at 9:30am – Quick and easy meals. Prepare 6 nutritious quick and easy meals.
- Sunday 15 February at 9:30am – Easy Thai dishes for alfresco entertaining. Make a variety of authentic, easy Thai dishes, for a casual dinner party.
- Sunday 1 March at 9:30am – A Lebanese banquet. Explore a variety of classic Middle Eastern mezze dishes and learn the secrets of making perfect pita breads.
Sale of produce
After a year of hard work and trying different guises of a community-based food market, we have re-evaluated the project and decided that at this stage we will only be selling produce produced at Wickedfood Earth, on an ad hoc basis. At the moment we still have a limited number of whole pigs for sale. Should you wish to order a pig, we will arrange a slaughter date that is convenient for you. To proceed, we need an order from you by a Wednesday, EFT deposit by Friday, the animals go in on the following Monday and they will be ready for collection on Friday or Saturday morning. All prices are calculated on slaughtered weight ex abattoir.
- Suckling pigs come in at R70/kg and are between 6kg – 15kg. Deposit R700
- Porkers R50/kg at around 20kg to 30kg including head. Deposit R1 200
- Wild boar ± 35kg ex skin and head @ R50/kg. Deposit R1 600
For breaking the animal down into 8 basic cuts + odd bits and packed into butchers bags we charge R5/kg. For more detailed butchering we charge R10/kg.
Recipe of week – Summer Pudding
With berries in at the very biggest, what better way to celebrate summer, than with a delicious summer pudding, a classic British dessert made of sliced white bread, layered in a deep bowl with berries and their juices. More ….