Thank you to everybody who supported the Wickedfood Earth Community Country Food Market so fantastically last weekend. At the meat counter, we totally sold out of our plain, as well our chourizo pork sausage. In addition we sold 5 suckling pigs. On the vegetable side, Murray sold out of kale and spinach. Martie’s Hertsog kookies and mosbolletjie bread were a great hit with everyone, and her kooksusters have become a regular firm favourite.
The beginning of winter signals lambing season at Goat Peter. This means that at the moment they are not milking. The good news is that during the season they produced some delicious hard rind cheeses, which they still have limited quantities of and will continue to sell at the market. And they have a special for this week, see below.
Don’t forget that during winter for the next few months the market will run from 9am to 11am. All food sold at this market is seasonal, locally grown and produced, which means that by supporting the farmers at the market, you are supporting the local economy, creating jobs and keeping age-old artisanal skills alive.
Come and join us, whether it’s to stock up on your weekly seasonal fresh produce or just for a quick cup of coffee, cake and chat. You can also find us this Sunday at the Celler Rats Winter Port Festival.
Specials for this week:
- Meat – all of our meat is from veld-raised animals, free range, antibiotic and hormone free. Special cuts for this week include:
- The first of our own hot smoked loin and streaky bacon – and we will slice it while you wait, so you can decide on the exact thickness you would prefer;
- Mild pork sausage – incredibly versatile, eaten on its own, perfect for breakfast or fried up as a pasta sauce;
- Salt pork hocks, perfect for slow braising or making hearty winter soups;
- Frozen lamb leg roasts;
- Charcuterie – coppa, loin, pancetta, bresaola (cured beef) and pork terrine;
- Pork pack orders – we are offering clients the opportunity to pre-order suckling pigs, as well as whole and half pigs, butchered to order at no extra price.
- Fruit and vegetables
- Kale and Swiss chard;
- The last of this season’s garlic;
- Pumpkin and butternut;
- Jerusalem artichokes;
- White and orange sweet potatoes;
- The first of this year’s pecan nut harvest.
- Ready-made meals
- Roasted vegetables;
- Lebanese bean stew.
- Cheese and milk
- A wide variety of goats cheese;
- Swiss style holey cheese, a new product at a special price;
- Raw organic cows milk.
- Preserves – Strawberry, blackberry and raspberry jam.
- Tea garden
- Chocolate cake;
- Breakfast egg and bacon pitta.
Hope to see you at the market.
P.S. – Our next Sunday food workshop is on Sunday 15th June – Take an exciting walk through the mysteries of charcuterie. See the website for details or contact Cilla on 076 236-2345 or firstname.lastname@example.org