It’s definitely the coldest days of the winter so far, and we have some hot food at the Wickedfood Earth Community Country Food Market this week. The market runs this Saturday from 9am to 11am at the premises of the Wickedfood Country Cooking School – linking local producers to consumers, as well as provides a location where foodies can get together for a quick cup of coffee, cake and chat. All food sold at this market is seasonal, locally grown and produced.
Specials for this week:
Meat – all of our meat is from veld-raised animals, free range, antibiotic and hormone free. Special cuts for this week include:
- Meaty pork and lamb bones for making hearty winter soups;
- Kassler – smoked pork loin chops;
- Pork belly and leg roasts;
- Spicy pork sausage – plain, chouriro and peach flavoured;
- Lamb shoulders, delicious for slow roasting, kleftiko style;
- Charcuterie we have a new batch, out from the curing fridge – coppa, loin, pancetta and brawn;
- Chinese cabbage;
- Kale – one of winters super foods;
- Jerusalem artichokes;
- Sweet potatoes;
- The first of this year’s pecan nut harvest.
- Ready-made meals – roasted vegetables and Lebanese bean stew.
- Strawberry, blackberry and raspberry jam;
- A delicious selection of citrus marmalades from this seasons fruit;
- Guavas in syrup and guava jam.
- Vegetable chutney.
Eggs – Free range and farm fresh
Baked goods – Rusks and Lamingtons
Hope to see you at the market.
Real country cooking classes on selected Sundays. (Click here to see how much fun these classes are). From how to use different cuts of meat and seasonal local ingredients to establishing your own food gardens, and kitchen confidence. more ….
Programme – We still have a few spaces left for the following classes.
Sunday 27 July at 9:30am – How to make the perfect roast (R495pp, No children under 16).
A step-by-step hands-on demonstration on the basics of 4 classic roasts – chicken, beef, lamb and pork, utilizing naturally veld-reared meat. Hands-on workshop, also learn how to make side dishes that classically accompany these roasts, including the perfect roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and apple sauce.
Sunday 10 August at 9:30am – Making the most of pork (R495pp, No children under 16).
A step-by-step hands-on demonstration on how to cook good quality free-range pork. Learn the basics of cooking the 4 major roasts from a small pig, as well as the secrets of how to stuff and roll a belly, slow roast shoulder of pork for pulled pork, make pan roasted pork fillet with a pancetta skin and how to cook the perfect quick and easy stir-fry.
Sunday 24 August at 9:30am – Delicious lamb (R495pp, No children under 16).
An interactive full-day workshop, on how to make the perfect slow roast shoulder of lamb (Greek or kleftiko style), a classic lamb curry, French trim a rack of lamb and roast it, and hot smoking a perfect leg of lamb in a kettlebraai.
For details or contact Cilla on 076 236-2345 or email@example.com