Although it does not feel like it, the Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School food gardens are telling us that autumn is on its way. We are in full harvest with all our different beans, aubergines, tomatoes, potatoes, pumpkins, tomatillos, and pomegranates. It’s also now a race against time to get the beds turned around for the winter crops and our garlic.
This past growing season was a year of experiment. In the Cooking School Food Gardens we have planted a wide variety of seed cultivars to see what will grow best in our area, including 18 different varieties of garlic. Our Cooking School gardeners have discovered some great new aubergines, tomatoes, pumpkins, garlic, and the perfect all-round potato for both frying and mash.
We are selling a limited quantity of this produce from the farm at our monthly farm lunch next Thursday 21 March, a public holiday (booking essential). More…
At Wickedfood Earth Farm we have recently slaughtered an ox which we have dry aged for 24 days before butchering, vacuum sealing and freezing. We are offering a limited number of cuts for sale – see more below.
Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School is offering some great cooking classes, food workshops and events over the next two months including:
- Thursday 21 March, a public holiday – our monthly ±15 dish Mezze Farm Lunch where we will be featuring our 24-day aged, veld-raised beef and the bounty of vegetables from this year’s harvest. Booking essential – R295pp. More…
- Saturday 30 March – Growing Garlic and Winter Vegetable Gardening. We will take you through how to prepare the beds for sowing, the best garlic and vegetables to grow for winter and when to plant. Over the next month is the best time to be planting garlic. We will take you through all the steps to ensure that you have a bumper crop of your own organically grown garlic to take you through to next summer. At the workshop you will also receive ± 200 garlic seeds of 6 of our best growing varieties, to the value of over R400. Booking essential – R795pp for the workshop including garlic seeds and lunch.
All our meat is grown on Wickedfood Earth Farm. We slaughter locally with no stress to the animal, and process in-house to ensure that we have complete trace-ability of all our meat. Our animals are veld-raised, and completely free-range, using no routine antibiotics and growth hormones or stimulants. They take on average, twice as long to reach maturity as factory-farmed animals. This means that the muscles of the animals get to work, which ensures added flavour.
- Beef – At Wickedfood Earth we run a small herd of Dexter cattle, we dry-age the carcasses in a controlled environment for 24 days, before butchering, and then vacuum packing and freezing the meat. Dry-ageing is a process not commonly used in beef any more as it allows the water in the meat to evaporate, by between 10% and 15%, thus adding to production costs. This method however, improves the flavour of meat, by allowing the natural enzymes in the meat to break down the tissue through hanging.
- Lamb – We have a few lambs that will be ready for slaughter for Easter. We need ±7 days from slaughter to packaging. Selling at R120/kg for the whole animal, slaughtered and R25/kg for butchering and packaging. They weigh in at around 12kg to 20kg slaughtered.
Collection – we are offering 4 options, please click here for an order form:
- At the next lunch event at Wickedfood Earth in Hekpoort (21 March – public holiday lunch);
- By prior arrangement at Wickedfood Earth in Hekpoort;
- By prior arrangement in Lonehill on Saturday morning 23 March;
- Door to door in Northern Johannesburg will quote price on request.
Wickedfood Earth Farm & Country Cooking School is a proud member of Slow Food Chefs’ Alliance. The Alliance is an international network of chefs who are committed to promoting small-scale, locally produced “good, clean and fair” foods, and safeguarding agricultural biodiversity. This new and exciting cooking class for small groups of up to 12 people is all about these principles – a tour of the gardens, a discussion about agricultural biodiversity, cooking a basket of the freshest seasonal produce and finishing off with a delicious 3-course menu you have prepared together. More…
Wickedfood Earth Farm & Country Cooking School has become synonymous with free-range pork and top quality charcuterie, including our range of sausage, coppa, pancetta, bacon and ham. This year, over the winter months, we will again be running a series of charcuterie workshops (dates still to be finalised, with the hot summers and working with fresh meat, we only run classes in the cooler months). Should you be interested please drop me a mail and I will add you to our charcuterie data mailing list and keep you updated of course dates (we already have a lot of interest). More…..
Looking forward to welcoming you to one of our events during the course of the year.
Mike, Cilla and the Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School Team.
Bookings – contact Cilla on 076 236-2345 or email@example.com
Products – Mike, 060 761-0885, firstname.lastname@example.org