Family days – Specific days each month for families with young children
(Pre-booking essential – for your own protection access to the property is only granted to those people with paid-up pre-bookings. In the unlikely event of rain we have ample covered seating surrounding our vegetable gardens. Please note no pets, fires or smoking)
Wickedfood Earth Farm is offering unique picnics and relaxing nature walks for families with young children with a strong emphasis in nature and the great outdoors. We are located in Gauteng, on a sustainable working farm, following organic farming philosophies, under 70km from Fourways, close to both Johannesburg and Pretoria, in the Magalies Valley, between Magaliesburg and Hartebeespoort
Apart from regular picnics over weekends, we also run special themed picnics on important celebration dates – limited availability so book early. For 2021 these include:
- Easter Sunday Easter Egg-hunt and brunch, 4 April – R250 per person for everyone over 2 years. For children of 2 to 12 this will include ±10 chocolate Easter eggs of different sizes per child, that we will hide around your designated picnic spot, and a child’s picnic hamper.
- Mothers day, 9 May -This year, taking into account the present Covid-19 Pandemic, we have developed a unique & safe environment for a special day out in the country. We have a number of special clearings in our indigenous forest at the farm, accommodating from two to 16 people per picnic sight. At each site we will set a sanitized table and chairs, and provide a picnic hamper of a selection of mezze dishes (please bring your own picnic utensils, glasses and drinks). We will also gift each mother a beautiful locally grown flowering pot plant. In the unlikely event of rain we have ample covered seating surrounding our vegetable gardens) @ R295pp, R150 per child between 2 and 10.We know that many of you with young children would also like to give your children an opportunity to connect with nature. We are therefore opening the farm up for family days. This is a great way to spend time together and for children to disconnect from the electronic world, and go outside to connect with nature and get some exercise (we request that children are under the strict supervision of parents at all times, no ball games, please respect the environment). For this activity to be meaningful to your children you need some pre-planning on your side. Set the outing up as an adventure and build them up for the day’s outing.
Here are some themes/activities to consider:
- Stop every now and then to listen to the sounds of nature, from insects and birds to the wind in the trees – see how many different bird calls you can hear each time you stop.
- Take pictures of interesting wildlife and plants on their cellphones to create a nature album back at home.
- Bring field guides to look up birds, insects, trees or flowers, either in book form or as an app.
- Encourage the use of senses, especially touch, smell and sound. Encourage the children to sit quietly in nature and really listen.
- Bring binoculars and a magnifying glass for children to be able to see things that are far away and very close.
- Take time, when they are interested in something, stop and observe, have patience and let them examine things fully.
- Discuss colours, shapes and sizes often, all part of an academic foundation.
- Talk descriptively and communicate in detail about observations, a great way to boost early vocabulary.
- Adult mezze picnic brunch hamper, (everyone over 13 years old) R490 for two sharing, R245 for each additional person, minimum 2 adults (8 during weekdays).
- Kids’ hamper 2 to 10 years old R145 per person, will consist of a pita bread, a meat or vegetarian dish such as egg or chicken mayonnaise or mini farm-made sausages, quiche or pie, fritters, salad, and sweet pastry (for toddlers under 2 years old, please bring their own food);
- Price includes entrance fee, the use of our toilets, walking trail, and picnic spot, including sanitized tables and chairs;
- What to bring:
- Your own water, drinks, glasses and ice;
- Eating utensils, plates and picnic blankets.
Space is limited to 15 private picnic sites for between 2 and 10 people each, so book early to avoid disappointment. All picnic sites are within 200m of a strategically placed parking areas.
As we move into summer, in the unlikely event of rain on the day, we have ample covered seating surrounding our vegetable gardens and will set up tables there. All seating will comply with all COVID protocols to ensure social distancing while eating. Other than that, everything remains the same, your picnic hampers will be ready from 9h00 to 10h00 on your tables. We would still encourage you to be prepared for walking prior to your picnic and would suggest that you come appropriately dressed for rain and a bit of mud, with good walking shoes/boots and a raincoat for just in case (no dogs, ball games, bicycles or fires).
The nature walk is open from 7h00 until 13h00. Picnics will be available for collection between 9h00 and 10h00. For more information, or to book Contact Cilla on 076 236-2345 or email@example.com Up-front booking essential, no booking confirmed without payment in full, no refunds, no pets, fires or smoking (terms and conditions apply). For your own protection, access to the property is only granted to those people with bookings.
Wickedfood Earth Farm Country cooking School is pleased to announce that we have joined forces with Oryx Desert Salt as our official supplier of salt. We believe that this is a superior salt to most of the other salts available as it is totally natural – no additives, no anti-clumping agents, and no preservatives. It is unrefined and unprocessed. Dried by the hot African desert sun from an underground brine lake, it takes only 4 weeks for the salt to crystalise.
All activities held at Wickedfood Earth Farm are subject to our standard terms and conditions.