Specific days each month for families with young children
(Pre-booking essential – for your own protection access to the property is only granted to those people with paid up pre-bookings. Please note no pets, fires or smoking)
Wickedfood Earth Farm is offering unique picnics and relaxing nature walks for families with young children with a strong emphasis in nature and the great outdoors. We are located in Gauteng, on a sustainable working farm, following organic farming philosophies, under 70km from Fourways, close to both Johannesburg and Pretoria, in the Magalies Valley, between Magaliesburg and Hartebeespoort
.August and September dates
- Saturday 8 August;
- Sunday 16 August;
- Saturday 22 August;
- Saturday 29 August;
- Sunday 6 September;
We know that many of you with young children would also like to give your children an opportunity to connect with nature. We are therefore opening the farm up for families. This is a great way to spend time together and for children to disconnect from the electronic world, and go outside to connect with nature and get some exercise (we request that children are under the strict supervision of parents at all times, no ball games, please respect the environment). For this activity to be meaningful to your children you need some pre-planning on your side. Set the outing up as an adventure and build them up for the day’s outing.
- Stop every now and then to listen to the sounds of nature, from insects and birds, to the wind in the trees – see how many different bird calls you can hear each time you stop.
- Take pictures of interesting wildlife and plants on their cellphones to create a nature album back at home.
- Bring field guides to look up birds, insects, trees or flowers, either in book form or as an app.
- Encourage the use of senses, especially touch, smell and sound. Encourage the children to sit quietly in nature and really listen.
- Bring binoculars and a magnifying glass for children to be able to see things that are far away and very close.
- Take time, when they are interested in something, stop and observe, have patience and let them examine things fully.
- Discuss colours, shapes and sizes often, all part of an academic foundation.
- Talk descriptively and communicate in detail about observations, a great way to boost early vocabulary.
- Adult mezze picnic lunch hamper, (everyone over 13 years old) R390 for two sharing, R195 for each additional person, minimum 2 adults (8 during weekdays).
- Kids’ hamper 2 to 10 years old R95 per person, will consist of a pita bread, a meat or vegetarian dish such as egg or chicken mayonnaise or mini farm made sausages, quiche or pie, fritters, salad, and dessert (for toddlers under 2 years old, please bring their own food);
- Price includes entrance fee, the use of our toilets, walking trail, and picnic spot, including sanitized tables and chairs;
- What to bring:
- Your own water, drinks, glasses and ice;
- Eating utensils, plates and picnic blankets.
Space is limited to 15 private picnic sites for between 2 and 10 people each, so book early to avoid disappointment. All picnic sites are within 200m of a strategically placed parking areas.
The nature walk is open from 10h00 until 15h30. Picnics will be available for collection between 12h00 and 13h00. For more information, or to book Contact Cilla on 076 236-2345 or firstname.lastname@example.org Up-front booking essential, no booking confirmed without payment in full, no refunds, no pets, fires or smoking (terms and conditions apply). For your own protection, access to the property is only granted to those people with bookings.
Wickedfood Earth Farm Country cooking School is pleased to announce that we have joined forces with Oryx Desert Salt as our official supplier of salt. We believe that this is a superior salt to most of the other salts available as it is totally natural – no additives, no anti-clumping agents, and no preservatives. It is unrefined and unprocessed. Dried by the hot African desert sun from an underground brine lake, it takes only 4 weeks for the salt to crystalise.
All activities held at Wickedfood Earth Farm are subject to our standard terms and conditions.