Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School
Charcuterie Workshops 2019
Wickedfood Earth Farm has become synonymous with free-range pork and top quality charcuterie, including our range of sausage, coppa, pancetta, bacon and ham. At our country cooking school we offer hands-on charcuterie workshops where we share the knowledge we have accumulated over the years on processing pork and other meats. Included in the price is coffee and tea on arrival, the in-depth hands-on cooking class, and lunch. Dates for the 2019 Gauteng charcuterie courses over this winter curing season have not yet been set (with the hot summers and working with fresh meat, we only run classes in the cooler months). Should you be interested please drop me a mail and I will add you to our charcuterie data and keep you updated of course dates. These charcuterie workshops are kept to a maximum of 12 participants so that everyone gets to be hands-on.
Alternatively if you are able to get a group of 10 people together we will run a charcuterie workshop exclusively for you and to sweeten the deal will offer you one free space.
Workshops on offer from Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School are as follows:
Introductory charcuterie workshop – from 9:30am. (R1 200pp). We will show you the basics of the three main arts of meat curing – whole muscle curing, how to make a classic pork sausage, and the basics of making salami. Techniques covered include:
- How to break down a pig for charcuterie – hands-on demonstration of how to break down a pig carcass and the different charcuterie cuts;
- Whole Muscle Curing – the basics of dry curing for pancetta, bacon and coppa;
- The basics of making the perfect pork sausage – grinding, spicing and stuffing for a classic pork sausage;
- Meat fermentation and how to make a basic pork salami – how spices and preservatives work, and grinding and stuffing salami.
Whole Muscle Curing Workshop including how to break down a pig for charcuterie from 9:30am. (R1 200pp). Techniques covered include:
- Hands-on demonstration of how to break down a pig carcass and the different charcuterie cuts;
- Different cures for coppa, pancetta, bacon, ham, and
- Hands-on demonstration on how to prepare, apply cure and age the different cuts of meat;
- The art of wet curing or brining, and how to make the perfect ham;
- The secrets of hot smoking at home.
Introduction to sausage making Workshop from 9:30am. (R1 200pp including extensive notes, and lunch). Techniques covered include:
- The basics of making the perfect pork sausage and boerewors, and the difference between them;
- How spices work and different blends for different types of sausage;
- How to develop your own unique sausage blends;
- Hands-on workshop, grinding, spicing and stuffing. Make 4 classic sausages – our classic award-winning boerewors, breakfast pork, Italian style and chourizo.
Introduction to Salami and dried Sausage Workshop 9:30am. (R1 300pp – Included in the price is coffee and tea on arrival, the in-depth hands-on workshop and notes, and lunch). Techniques covered include:
- The basics of making the perfect meat and spice mix for droewors, cabanossi and classic pork salami, and the difference between them;
- How spices and preservatives work, and different blends for different types of dry sausage and salami;
- Making 3 classic dry sausages – classic South African droewors, cabanossi and classic pork salami.
Advanced salami and dried Sausage Workshop 9:30am. (R1 400pp – includes two different salami cultures, a mold culture, 1kg dextrose and some extra large casings). Techniques covered include:
- Advanced dried sausage/salami making from hand crafted mini salamis to lamb, mixed meats and large chunk salamis, as well as other dried sausages including Spanish chourizo;
- Talk on the science of meat fermentation by a food services Microbiologist;
- Advanced spicing, working with cultures and preservatives;
- Making various dry sausages and the secrets of complex stuffing techniques.
Cooked and smoked emulsion sausages workshop – 9:30am. (R1 200pp). Techniques covered include:
- The art and science of emulation sausages, how to achieve the perfect unity between meat, fat, liquid and spices.
- Sausages covered in this workshop will include frankfurter, Weisswurst, mortadella and liver sausage;
- The secrets of complex stuffing techniques;
- Spice mixes and preservatives;
- Cooking and hot smoking.
For more information, or to book Contact Cilla on 076 236-2345 or firstname.lastname@example.org Wickedfood Earth Country Cooking School runs evening, half-day, one-day, and week-end classes and food workshops. Every student gets to participate in the preparation of every dish, and sit down to enjoy the meal they have prepared at the end of the class. General cooking classes are limited to a maximum of 32 students, each 8 students has his/her own fully-equipped kitchen station (charcuterie workshops are kept to a maximum of 12 participants so that everyone gets to be hands-on). (Terms and conditions apply)